Thursday, December 27, 2012

Homemade granola

So one of the first things I am making in my new oven (!!!!!) is granola. It is a very simple recipe, I absolutely love the result, and it scores major points as a gift item. Especially for new moms, lots of the ingredients are great for postpartum.

Ingredients:

4 cups rolled oats (I have successfully used quick cook or old-fashioned)

3/4 cup almond slivers

3/4 cup sunflower seeds

1/2 cup coconut (dessicated)

4 tablespoons sesame seeds

4 tablespoons brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons oil (I have used sunflower or olive oil, but now prefer coconut oil for this)

1/2 cup maple syrup (or substitute raw honey or golden syrup)

2 tablespoons water

Mix everything except the last 3 ingredients together in a bowl.

 

Heat the oil, syrup and water until it bubbles.

Mix the hot liquid with the dry ingredients to form a reasonably dry, sticky mixture.

Spead on a baking tray and bake at 240 degrees F for about 40 minutes - until golden brown. If your tray is small (and so the mixture is quite thick), you may have to stir it through a few times while baking, and it can take longer. Don't let it burn in the corners, but don't be scared to leave it until it is well caramelised. The roasted almonds are AMAZING in this if they get long enough baking time.

At this point, it's customary (I can say that if it's something I do every time, right?) to eat some of it straight from the baking tray. Now, if you want, add some dried fruit. I usually do raisins and dried apricots, and if I make it as a gift for a new mom, I add dried cranberries. Today I only did raisins.

The final result:

That's double the recipe, in case you're wondering. Can't wait for breakfast time!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment