Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In lieu of date night...

I'm making a quiche. Supposedly vegetarian but that doesn't apply anymore once you add some chargrilled ham to it, I suppose.

Here's the recipe:

Chop up some mixed veg (I usually use spinach, butternut, mushrooms, peppers and leeks. Tonight I don't have spinach so I substituted some extra mushrooms). Put it in a pot with about a tablespoon of olive oil and a splash of soy sauce. Steam for about 12-15 minutes until the butternut goes soft. Stir now and then. Oh, and add about 10 basil leaves before you put it on the stove, it makes quite a difference.

Then mix 4 eggs with about 150 mls of coconut milk (I used normal milk tonight, it's less WW points). Once the veggies are going soft, put them in an oven-proof dish. Pour over the eggy mixture. If you want to spoil the vegetarian status of the quiche, now is the time to poke some pieces of ham in between the veggies. Then crumble some feta over the top, and parmesan if you want, and bake at 160 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the eggs are set. Yum!

So baby's in bed, the older one is bathed and pj'ed, playing next to me on the floor. Hanno is reading a book on the Kindle in front of the fire. Dinner will be done in about 15 minutes. Who needs date night to have a great evening?

1 comment: