Friday, November 2, 2012

30 days of thanks: day 1

A few of my FB friends are taking the month of November to list things to be thankful for. I would like to join them; it is the 2nd today so I am already one behind, but I want to do 30 days so here goes.

Day one: I am thankful for my husband

 
Today it is 16 years, 2 months and 16 days since we started dating. There were some ups and downs in the first few years, but honestly marrying him is the best thing I have ever done. Here he is:

If I had to put together a list of characteristics of the ideal man, this awesome catch would not only have all of them, the list would not even cover all the things I admire about him. I will tell you about a few of the big ones:

1. He puts others first

I get coffee in bed every day of my life. Even when he's sick - he only tells me he is feeling ill when he puts the coffee down next to my bed. He quit a high paying job to work for a charity organisation and will probably stay there for life. Making a difference is a major drive for him, and I am honored to spend my life with someone who thinks like him.

2. He is an awesome dad

Our girls don't know how great they have it! Watching him play with them, and teach them, makes me so happy.

3. He cooks

Seriously. He describes cooking as a love language - and boy, I feel the love. I cook too, but I am more of a mac-and-cheese cook. He does beef fillet with blue cheese sauce and regards it as a quick, easy meal.

4. He listens

He is a really wise man, and often when I disagree with him he turns out to be right - and yet he will always take the time to understand what I say and then treats me so gently when I am wrong. I can ask him any stupid question or bring up any embarassing concept, because he will never laugh or dismiss me. I can be entirely myself with him,without fear of rejection.

5. He learns and grows

I am continually amazed not only at who he is, but at his lack of complacency. Being good is not good enough if you can be excellent; knowing a lot is not enough when you can learn more. He regards himself as a work in progress and he has very high expectations of himself - and yet such grace for others who fall short.

Next year in March we will celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. What a blessing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment