Tuesday, November 6, 2012

30 days of thanks: day 7

Day 7: the internet

Right now, it is 3am. I can't sleep (ugh), and so I'm sitting up in bed with my iPad and checking the results of the presidential election in a different hemisphere.

I love that.

I am grateful for how the internet brings the world closer together: During my overseas trips earlier this year it was just so easy to keep in touch, not to mention affordable. With so many people choosing to work internationally, including members of my family, the internet enables us to maintain contact. I know what my cousin's children look like now, even though I have not seen them in 4 years, and vice versa. While hurricane Sandy was bearing down on NYC, my brother who lives in Brooklyn sent me a video clip taken from the window of his flat so I could know what was going on.

And of course, as one of my internet friends put it: I love my computer. Some of my best friends live there.

I have been a member of a number of online communities (and one of them will be a future post of thanks) and I am amazed how this Afrikaans girl from South Africa, who grew up in a country full of racism and isolated by sanctions, can now have friends in 10 differenct countries whom I have never even met.

So, to my online friends who read this: today I am grateful that we can know each other's hearts and touch each other's lives, even if we never touch each other's skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment