Thursday, November 8, 2012

30 days of thanks: day 9

Day 9: in between seasons

A colleague predicted a decade ago that spring and autumn will disappear as global warming becomes more of a reality, and we will have long winters and long summers. I have no idea what he based that on, but I do see a little bit of that. The last few years we joked in Joburg that spring was that one afternoon in September, and after that summer was here.

This year was not really any different, once again there was about 2 weeks between when we took the heavy feather duvet off our bed and when we started using the air conditioner at night.

I really hope we do not see less of spring and autumn, but if we do, I want to appreciate it while I can.

So for today, I am grateful for the beauty and hope of spring, the feeling of new life and the exuberance of nature. I am grateful for birds singing outside my bedroom window at 4am, and for chilly mornings that fade into gorgeous sunny days.

And likewise, I am grateful for the slow down of autumn, for the change in colours that accompany the first cold spell. I am grateful for milder weather that follows the scorching summer, for the chance to move from as-thin-as-possible clothes to something more chunky, for cinnamon and spices and soup and cheese that somehow embody autumn for me.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment