Saturday, November 10, 2012

30 days of thanks: day 11

Day 11: Freedom

In the light of the recent US elections, it is clear that there are many definitions of freedom. And I don't necessarily agree with all of them; I do not believe that we are or should be free from the consequences of our actions, for example. Nor do I think we are free of responsibility to society, or to those less fortunate. I pay a lot of taxes and I am happy to, because that's the only way it is going to work. I do not believe we should be free of ever being confronted with something we disagree with, including breastfeeding in public, gay couples being affectionate in public, contraception covered on our health plans and a lot of other things. I do not believe freedom should be limited to the freedoms I choose to avail myself of.

However, a story I just read reminded me vividly of the freedoms that I do treasure more than words can say. Freedom to speak my mind without fear. Freedom to love. Freedom to believe and practice my religion. Freedom to be educated and choose a career that I love. Freedom to choose to have a career or not, for that matter. Freedom to choose to have children, and how many, and how to raise them.

I have a lot to be grateful for.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment